Friday, May 3, 2019

Beware the Writer's Group : John Updike is Watching from Above

Most people realize that some writer's groups are helpful whereas others may be toxic.  Often there is a mix of toxicity and helpfulness.  In my own group, there are people whom I listen to and others whom I discount the minutes their lips begin to move.  Too many people are in the latter category though I have to admit sometimes even that amuses me.

One of the dumbest criticisms I've heard in my group is that the writer (whomever is being reviewed) should use a simpler or less descriptive word than the one used. This is absolutely insane.  I'm currently in a throwback reading mood and going through a very clever and witty novel by John Updike (Bech at Bay).  I shudder to imagine his ghost sitting at our round table.

This dumbing down in my group has gone on too long. I thought it was time  I spoke out:

"Gotta' say I get a little stressed at Meetups when I hear (too often) a critique saying a writer should look for an easier word than the one used (or a shorter sentence where a longer one is warranted) so that a reader with a less developed vocabulary or level of comprehension  will find the writing more accessible. Aside from the fact that a limited vocab leads to flat and dull writing, it's a bit insulting to assume that readers are of such a low level that they couldn't figure out from the  context  of last night's piece that such terms as "voir dire" have something to do with questioning jurors before they are seated. 



Besides, it's not like we're as erudite as. .. say, John Updike for example.  Neither is it like back in the day when you had to keep three or four paper dictionaries on your desk.  Just spit a word into your cell phone and the definitions pop out a nanosecond later.  The English language is rich in nuance -- it behooves us all to reach for  the heights of it and not to surrender to our inner Neanderthal".    



No comments: