Thursday, December 11, 2008

Days of Our Lies: A Tale of Chicago Political Corruption

This is a photo of the Illinois' Governor's mansion in Springfield. I wonder if it's for sale, too. Can you rent it? Maybe it will become the permanent home of the Service Employees Union International Museum.




And now, the Obama Channel Presents:

The state capitol building in an undisclosed Midwestern state. We are moving down a long hallway as men and women pass quickly toward us. At the end of the hallway is a sumptuous office, except that it does not resemble an office as we know it. The carpeting is oriental. There is original art on the wall. The GOVERNOR has one of his aides holding a bucket of golf balls, placing them on the floor one by one. The GOVERNOR smiles through even capped teeth. His bouffant hairdo is reminiscent of Elvis and his powder-blue leisure suit adds to the effect of celebrity. Another aide suddenly rushes in...

C.U.

On face of the aide, flushed, alarmed....

BLAGO (irritably)
Damn... You made me miss my put!

AIDE
We need to talk...

BLAGO
I've got a plane to catch. Pebble Beach!...Compliments of the Service Employees Union!...

AIDE
We need to talk first...

BLAGO raises a hand and gestures to the female aide placing the golf balls onto the floor while he puts. He gestures with his thumb--like a hitchhiker.

BLAGO
Alright, Brittany...that's enough!...gettafuckoutaheah,ok?

The aide saunters away with the golf balls, her hips swaying sensuously as BLAGO and the AIDE watch her exit.

BLAGO
This better be fuckn' good.

AIDE
It's candidate Number Five.

BLAGO (perturbed)
You fuckn' serious? What the hell's he want?...

AIDE
He wants to talk to you...

BLAGO
Talk costs $50,000--tell him!
AIDE
I did tell him...he says he can't.

BLAGO
F____ him! Tell him I'm already on the plane.

AIDE
But...

BLAGO
Gettafuckoutaheah!...

AIDE
But...

BLAGO
Gettafuckoutaheah!... now!

The AIDE rushes away but now another aide dashes in. The GOVERNOR puts the golf club over his shoulder and looks at her. She hands him a phone.

AIDE
It's the president-elect..

BLAGO (grabbing the phone)
Barry!...Barry, listen... I can't talk now. What? Waht? What?.....Wait a minute!...Wait!...

BLAGO thrusts the phone toward his AIDE. He looks terrible, his face seized up.

BLAGO
Sonofabitch hangs up on me...

AIDE
What's wrong?

BLAGO
Shut up!
(throws the golf club)
Arrogant prick! Who the fuck he think he is!

AIDE
He's your next president.
BLAGO
Ungrateful bitch!... I give him money, I give him friends, I give him fame, I give him everything we have to offer and the sonofabitch hangs up on me!

AIDE
What's he saying?

BLAGO
He says he never talked to me. He says he don't know me anymore. He said he didn't know me yesterday.

FADE OUT:

PULL BACK to a view from the outside of the BLAGO mansion. Camera caresses the street, turns 180 degrees. Now we are focused on the Barack Obama Transition Team office, which is right across the street from where BLAGO and HARRIS are being charged with public corruption.

No comments: