Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Michelle Obama: You Are Forgiven!

Beginning with MSNBC’s Joe Scarborough, the media has been entirely too harsh on Michelle Obama in reaction to her remarks that “for the first time in my life, I am proud of my country.” Scarborough lacerated the accomplished and articulate wife of presidential candidate Barak Obama in no uncertain terms.

I like Michelle Obama and have great appreciation for her accomplishments though I have no intention of voting for Barak. McCain’s my preferred choice and I have supported him while he was dead in the water in the early days of his campaign. Nonetheless, I must rise up in defense of Michelle; she was broadly misunderstood. The fault was more in the Democratic Party than it was with Michelle. Everyone knows that when Democrats utter the words “my country”, they are not referring to America, but to a separate country in which they live.

This country of Democrats is a wonderful place where World Trade Centers are not attacked and where terrorism does not exist. There is no possibility of fatigue in the country to which Michelle Obama referred: everything is new, or renewable, or wonderful in some way that mere humans cannot understand. That which is not new, or that which is “desperate” is easily “changed.” Of course, that is easy to accomplish when your husband is the “change agent.” The rest of us must be content with more traditional truths, acknowledging both the beauty and the occasional nasty realities inherent in them.

No comments: